Current best practices and rationalistic perspectives in causation-based prevention, early detection and multidisciplinary treatment of breast and gastric cancer

Gastric & Breast Cancer e-journal
DOI: 10.2122/gbc.2010.0143


Trastuzumab: Isolated success in the adjuvant setting and a paradigm for moving toward network oncology

Sam Murray, PhD.

Affiliation: Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Metropolitan Hospital, Athens, Greece.


Trastuzumab represents the greatest clinical success among all targeted agents currently available for the treatment of many solid cancer types. Despite this success, the absolute overall survival benefit is ~ 10-15% only. Indeed, phase III randomized trials in HER2-positive patients with breast cancer or gastric cancer treated with addition of trastuzumab to chemotherapy increased the overall survival gain from 30% with cytotoxic agents alone to 45% with combined chemotherapy-trastuzumab regimen. Here I discuss the results of clinical trials. Assessing resistance to the present generation of targeted drugs, I describe the challenges and future perspectives of moving of biology and molecular research from single components of biological systems towards a comprehensive systems biology-based approach.

(Citation: Gastric & Breast Cancer 2010 Oct ; 9(4): 193-198)


You can have an online full-text access and a PDF of this article:
  • Either purchase this paper for €33 EUR. Please, click here
Please specify DOI of article
  • Or through one year subscription PayPal

Online ISSN : 1109 - 7647
Print ISSN : 1109 - 7655

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify. We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here.
please, read our policy about privacy and confidentiality of information and transparency of sponsorship

last update: 1 December 2010